Katie enjoying our patio deck upon our arrival at Emerald Cove Resort.

Katie enjoying our patio deck upon our arrival at Emerald Cove Resort.
Open Range 3X388RKS pulled by a Ram 2500

Friday, December 13, 2013

Lions & Tigers, and Bear Lake Monsters! Oh My!

Ok, before I get into the guts and glory of the title of this blog, in particular the Bear Lake Monsters (...who cares about lions and tigers anyway?), I gotta cover a couple of things.  

First of all, I'd appreciate it if readers would put their email addresses in the box to the right labeled "FOLLOW BY EMAIL".  This would allow me to stop putting email addresses in a box in my settings which has me sending this to only 10 folks.  Thanks.

Secondly, if you're gonna wanna do gift shopping at Amazon.com which has some pretty good deals, I'd appreciate it if you'd click on one of the Amazon links on the right side, and on the bottom of the blog.  As it lets Amazon know that you got to them through my blog, they send a small bit my way; not a lot, but a little.

Thirdly, if you've sent me a comment to a post, I'm sorry but I haven't figured out how to answer the comments yet, so I haven't been able to respond to them.  I'm still in the process of learning how to do all this stuff, please be patient.  Thanks.


The Travelogue June of 2012

Now to the Bear Lake Monster.  Raise your hand if you did any research on the Bear Lake Monster, ok?  If you raised your hand, you get a gold star.  Not sure how I'm gonna get it to ya, or where you're gonna put the gold star if you were to get it, I'm really thinking that point is mute (sorry to get your hopes up if ya were thinking you were gonna get one).  So, the Bear Lake Monster has various tales about it, obviously every single one of them true, depending on who ya ask.  Maybe...  One of the tales links the Loch Ness Monster to the monster at Bear Lake, which sounds pretty preposterous, if ya ask me.  Rather than try to give you a synopsis of each story, here's a link to Google's search results for the legends of the Bear Lake Monster.  Remember, each story is factual... kinda.  Because there's really a lake, ok?


We saw what was a facsimile of the monster, but I didn't take a picture of it.  Not sure why I didn't do that!  Luckily, Google has a few images of it, here are a couple of them.


Ugly looking facsimile, huh?  This facsimile was parked in the overflow parking area of the state park, and had been there for more than a couple of years, and was looking for a new owner, as I recall.  Just to let ya know that it was a real facsimile, it had a couple of outboard motors attached to it's butt, I mean stern.  Looking at the inside of the facsimile were benches for a few people.  Obviously, if this was the real thing, folks wouldn't choose to ride in a monster where his stomach would be!

Ok.  On to more ...real stuff.  The weekend after our arrival at BLSP, we were asked as part of our duties to help out in the office with the campers and picnickers.  Turns out there was a big event that weekend, the Mountain Tropic Triathlon took place there at the lake.  If you click on the previous link, you'll find out more about it, and see some more pictures of BLSP as well.  While Katie was indoctrinated in helping in the office with the various campers and picnickers that were coming in, I got to go down to the parking lot to direct traffic so the runners and bikers could be as unfettered as possible going to and from their courses.  Apparently, I did a great jog at directing vehicular traffic and making it easier for the competitors as the director of the event came up to telling me what a great job I was doing.  That was a good thing to do, but she didn't do anything for the mosquitoes that were feasting on me while I was keeping my hands in the air waving at folks wanting to get in or out.  And it may have been that there just wasn't anyone wanting to get out in front of traffic like that, so I can't really say that I was doing that great of a job.  It wasn't that big of a deal to me as I'd done it a few times while I was working for the City of Las Vegas, and sometimes had to be in traffic letting folks know where they could go and where they couldn't go.  Anyway, Katie learned all about the office procedures, and I got a little sunburn and bug bitten. 

Another thing that was kinda exciting for us was what we'd done to the moho before we got up to BLSP.  When we'd hit the road, we'd removed the dining table as we just didn't like the way it took up room or worked.  We didn't have a good replacement for the table and had endured sitting at plastic tables that we set up and took down every time we stopped at a campsite and left the campsite.  We'd already replaced the sofa, and set up the TV in an entertainment center across from the sofa for a better TV watching angle, so we were familiar with doing change in the rig and weren't afraid of doing more.  The solution for the dining table finally hit us when we were at Amanda's prior to going to BLSP in the form of two 24" base kitchen cabinets from Ikea, along with two 6' lengths of countertop.  By putting the cabinets on the floor aproximately 24" apart, and putting table legs on one end of one of the lengths trimmed to fit with the other end supported by the cabinet sides, we were able to have a dining area and increase the storage space by quite a bit.  The galley drawers that Winnebago put in our Chieftain 35U weren't wide enough for a silverware tray, but we now had a drawer big enough for LOTS of silverware space, in addition to another drawer for ...more of Katie's kitchen stuff.  The storage space in the cabinets, as well as the space between them, were used for ...more of Katie's kitchen stuff.  (No, she didn't suffer a whole lot when she had to downsize her kitchen toy collection.)  Here's a couple of pictures showing the finished product.




The dining area slides in under the countertop when the slide comes in.  We think we did a fairly good job of making the dining area much better than it was and increasing the galley storage space quite a bit.

Have a blessed day!

No comments: