Katie enjoying our patio deck upon our arrival at Emerald Cove Resort.

Katie enjoying our patio deck upon our arrival at Emerald Cove Resort.
Open Range 3X388RKS pulled by a Ram 2500

Sunday, December 1, 2013

OK, we're back!

As I said in earlier posts, Katie and I were going to go to my sister's home in McMinnville, Oregon,  778 miles away, for Thanksgiving with my sisters and their families.  Going to Elaine's house on Tuesday, November 26th, started out at about 7 AM.  After packing the car with stuff and doggies, and stopping at our favorite healthy (not!) breakfast food to go eatery for two McSausages with egg and the necessary coffee to go with it, we headed north on I-15, hoping to drive the 778 miles to her house to arrive at Elaine's by 8 PM or so.  Along the way, we listened an audio recording of "Catching Fire" to pass the time, both on the way up and back down.  

After going through a few iterations of how things went while we were there for Thanksgiving, I'm only gonna tell ya that it was really good seeing everyone gathered together again, although at the family reunion in August, Amanda and her family were there along with Clay Taylor and his girlfriend.  My oldest son, Ken, and his family were missed both times, looking forward to seeing them again whenever possible.  The good times were dampened by the lung congestion that Katie and I developed on the way there Tuesday night, and Elaine and Jon coming down with it on Friday morning, when it was breaking up for us.  I actually felt good enough to hit the disc golf course with Jon and David in the morning.  My throws weren't very strong (not sure that they ever really are for a lot of senior citizens), but seemed to improve over the 12 basket course.  Elaine was due to participate in the McMinnville Starlight Parade as a "Rakette" from the McMinnville Garden Club, but she decided it'd be best if she didn't take part in the parade due to her health condition, which was shared by myself, Katie and Jon.  So we sat in front of the tube watching football doing what Elaine dubbed "four part coughing harmony".

We left McMinnville on Saturday, November 30, around 7 AM after gassing up and getting another of our favorite travel breakfasts, as described earlier on Tuesday.  The goal for the day was to be able to see Katie's brother and sister in law, Kenny and Lori, near Boise, Idaho.  That goal was achieved at about 5 PM when we called to see if we could visit and found that they were suffering from the same kind of guck as we were suffering from.  Yuck!  Regardless, we had a good visit, but I felt we needed to at least try to get home last night, so we left around 7:30 and headed south to Clearfield.  This journey lasted us until after 12 AM, and enabled us to finish listening to "Catching Fire".  Would've listened to "Mocking Jay", but didn't seem to have it on the iPod after all.  Darn!

So I learned a few things on this trip.
  1. I can't count on being able to use other folks internet access wherever we go.  I didn't bring my mifi so I wasn't able to write a blog while we were up there.  
  2. Make sure that I always bring a camera to take pictures with.  So in addition to not being able to post blogs, I couldn't take pictures of folks that I really wanted to take pictures of as well also.  
  3. Use good hygiene to keep from getting sick and passing nasty germs to other folks as well. 
Not gonna do the travelogue today, just wanna take it easy.  Have a blessed day.

No comments: