Katie enjoying our patio deck upon our arrival at Emerald Cove Resort.

Katie enjoying our patio deck upon our arrival at Emerald Cove Resort.
Open Range 3X388RKS pulled by a Ram 2500

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Recovery day?

Well, the day after the birthday party has come and is almost gone.  And I just about missed it!  For some reason last night, I thought today would be Monday rather than Sunday.  I admit that as a retiree there have been times that the days between Sundays have seemed like they were all Saturdays, but I don't think I ever forgot about Sundays.  And since I've hit the road, Sundays have just been more important to me than they were before.  So when I woke up this morning and remembered that it was actually Sunday, I did heave a sigh of relief.  Yes, I went to Church earlier today, and I've had a nice relaxing afternoon.  Now I'm doing something I'm enjoying using my fingers on the keyboard.  Hope you guys are enjoying it also!


The Travelogue   Mid December, 2011

After reading the post before the last one, you've probably wondered why folks might want to stay at Cherry Valley Lakes RV campground.  If I gave anyone the feeling that it wasn't worth it to go there, I apologize, I didn't mean to.  It's a great place to go as there are lots of folks that repeat their stays there all the time.  I suggest that you try it yourself when ya get the chance.

I haven't mentioned any dates lately for when these events took place, and I'm kinda surprised that no one has asked "...what was the date when were you there?"  Ok, the dates we're talking about now is the middle to the end of December, 2011.

So while we were staying at Cherry Valley Lakes RV campground, we took a day trip up to Lake Arrowhead at the right time of year when there were lots of folks there.  NOT!  There was hardly anybody there as it was cold and windy, as evidenced by this picture of yours truly:


If you look off behind me to the left and right, you can see whitecaps which might let ya know how windy it was there.  The way I'm snuggled in my jacket with my stocking cap on and my hands in my pockets might tell ya how cold it was.  We went by where the Lake Arrowhead Queen was moored, and it looked like this:


I wonder if it's heated during the winter months...  This wasn't the day for them to be out on the lake even though the website says that they run from 11 AM to 3:30 PM during the winter.  If ya haven't been there, I'm thinking that a ride on the Queen would be just fine during the warmer months; at the point that this picture was taken though, forget it.

At the shopping mall next to the lake, it looked like the recession had hit the area kinda hard as there were several empty storefronts.  Having said that, I'm not a business person, and it wasn't the tourist season there, so those empty shops may have been empty simply because it was that time of year.  I gotta say that even though there were few people here, I was actually glad as I don't always feel the need to be around lots of crowds.  So it felt cold, but good as well.   

A few days later, we went to the beach, in particular Doheny State Beach near San Juan Capistrano, Ca., to stay for several days.  It wasn't quite like the other places we'd stayed at in the moho as we'd never stayed at the beach since we hit the road.   We were given a good campsite where we were able to see the ocean out the windshield of the moho; it wasn't close, but it was visible.  The campground was nice with a lot of trees and bushes between the campsites so each one was secluded from the other ones.  If you're taking a rig there that's longer than 35', it's gonna be pretty tight, if not impossible to get into a campsite, let alone go down the road to the campsite.  Here's a look at the road:



Our moho is a little shy of 36' and it wasn't easy getting into our designated campsite.  But we made it because the road was at the correct angle to the campsite and we could jockey the moho in.  Unfortunately the sites don't have any hookups unless you're a campgound host, and the generator hours seemed to be a little short (10 AM to 6 PM) if ya wanna watch TV at night.  The weather was great while we were there, but that's because "it never rains in California"  (...Ya knew that was coming, didn't ya).  But overall, it was an excellent place to go to, and I'd recommend it anytime, especially in the winter months when there are fewer campers going there.  If it weren't for family and other mitigating circumstances, I wouldn't mind being there right now.

Have a blessed day!


No comments: