Katie enjoying our patio deck upon our arrival at Emerald Cove Resort.

Katie enjoying our patio deck upon our arrival at Emerald Cove Resort.
Open Range 3X388RKS pulled by a Ram 2500

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Weather anyone?

So now it's been more than a month since we got to Clearfield, and I've said a couple of times about how it was snowing.  Obviously the snow has gone away as the sun has been out many times since I reported the snow, and the temp has almost been warm enough to wear shorts.  Those of you who wear shorts in the winter, please let me know, ok?  Thanks.  I've had a hard time wearing shorts in the winter months, but I may be changing a little now because I've gone out walking the dogs when the sun was down, or early in the morning when there was frost on the ground with pants and a t-shirt on for several minutes, and been comfortable enough not to have to run in to get more clothes on.  Ya think my blood is getting thicker?  Then again, maybe it's just a short term thing.  Anyway, the weather has been nice to us ever since the snow melted.  I don't know how long it'll last, but I'm gonna relish them while they're here.  I guess that it's gonna get cloudier tomorrow because there's a 20% chance of rain on Thursday and then again on Saturday, and the low at night's gonna be a little colder.  We'll see how good it gets after that, ok?

We started our income tax preparer class today.  Didn't really do a whole lot, just set up our online student accounts for the texts, and got an overview of what the course is about.  But it was kinda exciting going there and getting the process started to earn some bucks.  Doing the tax preparer stuff will last until April 15, not sure what I, or we, will be doing after that, have to wait and see.  But it'll be good to be doing something again, meeting people and helping them out.  So, ...how many of you have someone do your taxes, and if so, why?  I've only had my taxes done once, and it was only because of some technicality and the lateness of the date (April 14!) that it was done that way.  Not sure that I'd want to do it that way again.  Just curious, I won't be asking for you to send me any private financial data; yes or no, and why is all that's necessary.

Katie and I are going to an art thing in Ogden tonight, and once again, she's excited about doing this stuff.  Which is good, I'm glad that she's able to get involved in art in a way that I know she wouldn't have been able to do if we were on the road at this time.  So this is a another good reason for us to be here right now.


The Travelogue

So, almost two years ago, we were in SoCal, right?  And the last thing I said about it yesterday was that we were playing disc golf in Victorville, Ca., at Doris Davies Park.  Did anyone get sick watching the video?  I really do hope not.  (When we were working at Adventureland in Altoona, Ia, I found out that people can get sick just watching things go round and round, and this was from other folks that worked the rides with me!  I tip my hat to them for doing that work under those circumstances.)  Were ya inspired enough to go out to your favorite disc golf course and throw a few discs?  Regardless, I hope ya enjoyed the blog entry.

Ok, the dates are kinda vague here.  I'm getting the dates from the date that my camera puts on the images when I loaded them into my computer, and I didn't take a lot of pictures for the time period of the 21st - 28th of November of 2011.  (The 21st was when we played disc golf, mentioned yesterday.)  I'm thinking that we went from Phelan to Menifee, Ca., where we stayed at 1000 Trails Wilderness Lakes.  Here's a picture of what it was like in front of our rig.  If ya see the water, it's part of a canal system that winds its way through part of the preserve.  From what we found out this year when we were staying there, it's stocked


every year just before Memorial Day.  Then everyone comes here and fishes the canals dry.  There is lots to do here at Wilderness Lakes:

  • two swimming pools: one for adults only and another for families
  • two lounges: one for adults only and another for families
  • three hot tubs: one for adults only and two for families
  • an exercise room for those 16 and over
  • six horseshoe pits for all ages
  • pickleball, shuffleboard, and tennis courts
  • playing field
  • several laundromats and shower houses
  • miniature golf
  • an activity center to check out the horseshoes, games, books, and movies

It kinda needs a little better upkeep, but overall, it isn't a bad place to stay.  And since it's free with our 1000 Trails membership, it's a good price.  Oh, I forgot to mention horseshoes as well.  We went to the pits one day to observe and a nice (I can't say old guys since I'm old now, ok?) guy showed us how the game is played.  Apparently, folks with 1000 trails memberships go from one preserve to other preserves playing in tournaments.  Before we hit the road in May of 2011, we were in Bend at the preserve there while there was a tournament going on, LOTS of folks with them horseshoes (imagine how many horses don't have shoes now!).  Anyway, we tried it using the horseshoes from the activity center, and can't say that we didn't do too badly.  Here's a picture of Katie throwing one.  I only have pictures of her throwing, she wouldn't


take any of me throwing.  Maybe I had really good form and she didn't want to share it with anyone, ya suppose?  Nah, didn't think so.  Having said that, I gotta tell ya that she whooped me when we played each other.  So she probably didn't take any pictures of me because she was concentrating so hard on her game.  Darn!

A couple of days later, we went to San Juan Capistrano to see the mission ruins there.  It had been a dream of Katie's for some time to be able to go to all the missions in California, and this was the first one that we were able to see.  (Several others were seen this last year while we were in California, more about them later.)  The history of the missions was intriguing, but we wish that we'd been able to see what it was like before the earthquake of 1812.  The picture below isn't the best as it's taken from the street.  If you follow the link above, or click here for images for San Juan Capistrano on Google, I'm sure you'll find better pictures.


Later in the day, we had dinner at a Mexican restaurant a few blocks away, recommended by Karen, Katie's sister.  Really good food.  No, I don't remember it.  But I do remember that I enjoyed the food.

That's it for today.  Have a blessed day.


No comments: